Wednesday, March 2, 2011

MODULE 4: FILIPINO FOLKTALES


Module 4:My Brother's Peculiar Chicken
Reported by: Cielo Jane M. Miake
Sources: Philippine Literature from Ancient Times to The Present By Teofilo del Castillo y Tuazon and Buenaventura S. Medina, Jr.

My Brother’s Peculiar Chicken 
Alejandro R. Roces


            My brother Kiko had a very peculiar chicken.  It was very peculiar because no one could tell whether it was a rooster or a hen.  My brother claimed it was a rooster.  I claimed it was a hen.  We almost got lynched trying to settle the argument.
            The whole question began early one morning, while Kiko and I were driving the chickens from the cornfield.  The corn had just been planted and the chickens were scratching the seed out for food.  Suddenly we heard the rapid flapping of wings.  We turned in the direction of the sound and saw the two chickens fighting the far end of the field.  We could not see the birds clearly, as they were lunging at each other in a whirlwind of feathers and dust. 
            “Look at the rooster fight!|” my brother said pointing excitedly at one of the chickens.  “Why, if I had a rooster like that I could get rich in the cockpit.”
            “Let us go and catch it,” I suggested. “No, you stay here, I will go and catch it,” Kiko said, my brother slowly approached the battling chickens.  They were so busy fighting that they did not notice him as he approached.  When he got near them, he dived and caught one of them by the legs.  It struggled and squawked.  Kiko finally held it by both wings and it stood still. I ran over to where he was and took a good look at the chicken.
            “Aba, it is a hen!” I said.
            “What is the matter with you?” my brother asked. “Is the heat making you sick?”
            “No, look at its head. It has no comb or wattles.”
            “No comb or wattles! Who cares about its comb or wattles? Didn’t you see it fight?”
            “Sure, I saw it fight, but I still say it is a hen.”
            “A hen! Did you ever saw a hen with spurs like this?  Or a hen with a tail like this?”
            Kiko and I could not agree on what determines the sex of a chicken.  If the animal in question had been a carabao it would have been simple.  All we would have to do was to look at the carabao.  We would have wasted no time at examining its tail, hooves, or horns.  We would simply have looked at the animal straight in the face, and if it had a brass on its nose the carabao would undoubtedly be a bull.  But chickens are not like carabaos.  So the argument went on in the field and the whole morning. 
            At noon, we left to have our lunch. We argued about it on the way home.  When we arrived at our house, Kiko tethered the chicken on a peg.  The chicken flapped its wings – and then crowed.
            “There! Did you hear that?” my brother exclaimed triumphantly.  “I suppose you are going to tell me now that carabaos fly.”
            “I do not care if it crows or not,” I said.  “That chicken is a hen.”
            We went in the house and the discussion continued during lunch. 
            “It is not a hen,” Kiko said.  “It is a rooster.”
            “It is a hen,” I said.
“It is not.”
“It is.”

“That’s enough!”  Mother interrupted.  “How many times must Father tell you boys not to argue during lunch?”  What is the argument about this time?”
We told Mother and she went out to look at the chicken,
“The chicken”, she said, “is a binabae.  It is a rooster that looks like a hen.”
That should have ended the argument.  But Father also went to see the chicken and he said.
“No, Mother, you are wrong.  That chicken is a binalake, a hen which looks like a rooster.”
“Have you been drinking again?”  Mother asked.
“No,” Father answered.
“Then what makes you say that rooster is a hen?  Have you ever seen a hen with feathers like that?”
“Listen.  I have handled fighting roosters since I was a boy, and you cannot tell me that thing is a rooster.”
Before Kiko and I realized what had happened to Father and Mother were arguing about the chicken all by themselves.  Soon Mother was crying.  She always cried when argued with Father.
“You know well that it is a rooster,” she sobbed.  “You are just being mean and stubborn.”
“I am sorry,” Father said.  But I know a hen when I see one.”
Then he put his arms around Mother and called her corny names like my Reina Elenea, my Madonna and my Maria Clara.  He always did that when Mother cried.  Kiko and I felt embarrassed.  We left the house without finishing our lunch. 
“I know who can settle this question,” my brother said.
“Tenienteng Tasio.”
Tenienteng Tasio was the head of the village.  I did not think that the chief of the village was the man who could solve a problem.  For the chief was the barrio philosopher.  By this I mean that he was a man who explained his strange views by even stranger reasons.  For example, the chief frowned on cockfighting.  Now many people object to rooster fighting, their reason being either that they think cockfighting is cruel or that they think gambling is bad.  Neither of these was the chief’s reason. Cockfighting, he said was a waste of time because it has been proven that one gamecock can beat another.
The chief, however, had one merit.  He was the oldest man in the barrio, and while this did not make him an ornithologist, still, we have to admit that anything said always carries more weight if it is said by a man with grey hairs.  So when Kiko suggested consulting the teniente, I voiced no objection.  I acquiesced to let him be the arbiter of our dispute.  He untied the chicken and we both took it to the chief.
“Tenienteng Tasio, is this chicken a male or a female?” Kiko asked.
“That is a question that could concern only another chicken,” the chief replied.
Both Kiko and I were taken aback by this replication.  But Kiko was obstinate, so he tried another approach.
“Look, teniente,” he said, “my brother and I happen to have a special interest in this particular chicken.  Please give us an answer.  Just say ‘yes’ or ‘no’.  Is this a rooster?”
“It does not look like any rooster that I have ever seen,” said the teniente.
“It is a hen, then,” I said.
“It does not look like any hen that I have ever seen,” was the reply.
My brother and I were dumbfounded.  For a long while we remained speechless. Then Teniente Tasio asked:
“Have you ever seen an animal like this before?”
Kiko and I had to admit that we hadn’t.
“Then how do you both know it is a chicken?”
“Well, what else could it be?” Kiko asked in turn.
“It could be another kind of bird.”
“Oh, God, no!” Kiko said.” Let’s go to town and see Mr. Cruz. He would know.”
Mr. Eduardo Cruz lived in the nearby town of Alcala. He had studied poultry husbandry at Los BaƱos, and he operated a large egg farm. When we got there Mr. Cruz was taking his siesta, so Kiko released the chicken in his yard.
The other chicken would not associate with ours. Not only did they keep as far away from it as they could, but they did not even seem to care to which sex it belonged. Unembarrassed  by this, our chicken chased and disgraced several pullets.
“There!” my brother exclaimed.
“That should prove to you it is a rooster.”
“It proves nothing of the sort,” I said. “It only proves it has rooster instincts – but it could still be a hen.”
As soon as Mr. Cruz was up, we caught the chicken and took it to his office.
“Mr. Cruz,” Kiko said, “is this a hen or a rooster?”
Mr. Cruz looked at the bird curiously and then said:
“Hmmmm, I don’t know. I couldn’t tell at one look. I have never run across a biddy like this before.”
“Well, is there any way you can tell?”
“Why, sure. Look at the feathers on its back. If the ends are round, it’s a she. If they are pointed, then it is a he.”
The three of us examined its feathers closely. It had both!
“Hmm. Very peculiar,” said Mr. Cruz.
“Is there any other way you can tell?”
“I could kill it and examine its insides,”
“No, I don’t want it killed,” my brother said.
I took the plumed creature in my arms and we walked back to the barrio. Kiko was silent most of the way. Then suddenly he snapped his fingers and said:
“I know how I can prove to you that this is a rooster.”
“How?” I asked.
“Would you agree that this is a rooster if it fights in a cockpit – and it wins?”
“If this hen of yours can beat a gamecock, I would believe anything,” I said.
“All right,” he said, “we will take it to the cockpit this coming Sunday.”
So that Sunday we took the chicken to the cockpit. Kiko looked around for a suitable opponent and finally decided on a red rooster. I recognized the rooster as a veteran of the pit whose picture had once graced the cover of the gamecock magazine Pintakasi. It was also the chanticleer that had once escaped to the forest and lured all the hens away from the surrounding farms. Raising its serpent-liked head, the red rooster eyed the chicken arrogantly and jiggled its sickle feathers.  This scared me. For I knew that when the gamecock is in breeding mood it is twice a ferocious.
“Do not pit your hen against the rooster,” I told Kiko. That the rooster is not a native chicken. It was brought over the from Texas.”
“That does not mean anything to me,” my brother said. “”My rooster will kill it.”
“Do not be a fool,” I said. “That red rooster is a killer. It has killed more chickens than the cholera. There is no rooster in this province that can take its gaff. Pick on a less formidable rooster.”
My brother would not listen. The match was made and the birds were headed for the killing. Sharp steel gaffs were tied to their left legs. Kiko bet eight pesos on his chicken. I only bet two. The odds were two to one. Then I said a tacit prayer to Santa Rita de Casia, patroness of the impossible.
Then the fight began. Both birds were released at the center of the arena. The Texan scratched the ground as if it were digging a grave for its opponent. Moments later, the two fighters confronted each other. I expected our rooster to die of fright. Instead, a strange thing happened. A lovesick expression came into the red rooster’s eyes. Then it did a love dance. Naturally, this was a most surprising incident to one and all, but particularly to those who had stakes on the Texas rooster. For it was evident that the Texan was thoroughly infatuated with our chicken and that any attention it had for the moment was strictly amatory. But before anyone could collect his wits our foul rushed at the red stag with its hackle feathers flaring. In one lunge, it buried its spur in its adversary’s breast. The fight was over! The sentencer raised our chicken in token victory.
“Tiope! Tiope! Fixed fight!” the crowed shouted.
Then a riot broke out. People tore the bamboo benches apart and used them as clubs. My brother and I had to leave through the back way. I had the chicken under my arm. We ran towards the coconut groves and we kept running till we lost the mob. As soon as we felt safe, we sat on the ground and rested. We were both panting like dogs.
“Now are you convinced it is a rooster?” Kiko muttered between breaths.
“Yes,” I answered.
I was glad the whole thing was over.
But the chicken had other ideas. It began to quiver. Then something round and warm dropped on to my hand. The chicken cackled with laughter. I looked down and saw – an egg!  


 Background Information:





Confirmation of Learning:

1. Who are the characters in the story?
2. Who's chicken was peculiar?
3. Why did Kiko find his chicken peculiar?
4.What made Kiko's brother believe that his chicken was really  a peculiar one?
5. What happened when Kiko's chicken fought another chicken?








Juan Wearing a Monkey’s Skin

This Filipino story was recorded in English based on a Kapampangan (Pampango, from the province of Pampanga) version in the early 20th century. There is also a Bicolano (Bikulano, from Bicol) version of this story.


Once upon a time there was a couple which was at first childless. The father was very anxious to have a son to inherit his property: so he went to the church daily, and prayed God to give him a child, but in vain. One day, in his great disappointment, the man exclaimed without thinking, “O great God! let me have a son, even if it is in the form of a monkey!” and only a few days later his wife gave birth to a monkey. The father was so much mortified that he wanted to kill his son; but finally his better reason prevailed, and he spared the child. He said to himself, “It is my fault, I know; but I uttered that invocation without thinking.” So, instead of putting the monkey to death, the couple just hid it from visitors; and whenever any one asked for the child, they merely answered, “Oh, he died long ago.”
The time came when the monkey grew to be old enough to marry. He went to his father, and said, “Give me your blessing, father, for I am going away to look for a wife.” The father was only too glad to be freed from this obnoxious son, so he immediately gave him his blessing. Before letting him go, however, the father said to the monkey, “You must never come back again to our house.”
“Very well, I will not,” said the monkey.
The monkey then left his father’s house, and went to find his fortune. One night he dreamed that there was a castle in the midst of the sea, and that in this castle dwelt a princess of unspeakable beauty. The princess had been put there so that no one might discover her existence. The monkey, who had been baptized two days after his birth and was named Juan, immediately repaired to the palace of the king. There he posted a letter which read as follows: “I, Juan, know that your Majesty has a daughter.”
Naturally the king was very angry to have his secret discovered. He immediately sent soldiers to look for Juan. Juan was soon found, and brought to the palace. The king said to him, “How do you know that I have a daughter? If you can bring her here, I will give her to you for a wife. If not, however, your head shall be cut off from your body.”
“O your Majesty!” said Juan, “I am sure that I can find her and bring her here. I am willing to lose my head if within three days I fail to fulfil my promise.” After he had said this, Juan withdrew, and sadly went out to look for the hidden princess.
As he was walking along the road, he heard the cry of a bird. He looked up, and saw a bird caught between two boughs so that it could not escape. The bird said to him, “O monkey, if you will but release me, I will give you all I have.”
“Oh, no!” said the monkey. “I am very hungry, and would much rather eat you.”
 “If you will but spare my life,” said the bird, “I will give you anything you want.”
“On one condition only will I set you free,” said the monkey. “You must procure for me the ring of the princess who lives in the midst of the sea.”
“Oh, that’s an easy thing to do,” said the bird. So the monkey climbed the tree and set the bird free.
The bird immediately flew to the island in the sea, where fortunately it found the princess refreshing herself in her garden. The princess was so charmed with the song of the bird, that she looked up, and said, “O little bird! if you will only promise to live with me, I will give you anything you want.”
“All right,” said the bird. “Give me your ring, and I will forever live with you.” The princess held up the ring; and the bird suddenly snatched it and flew away with it. It gave the ring to the monkey, who was, of course, delighted to get it.
Now the monkey jogged along the road until finally he saw three witches. He approached them, and said to them, “You are the very beings for whom I have spent the whole day looking. God has sent me here from heaven to punish you for your evil doings toward innocent persons. So I must eat you up.”
Now, witches are said to be afraid of ill-looking persons, although they themselves are the ugliest beings in all the world. So these three were terribly frightened by the monkey’s threat, and said, “O sir! spare our lives, and we will do anything for you !”
“Very well, I will spare you if you can execute my order. From this shore you must build a bridge which leads to the middle of the sea, where the castle of the princess is situated.”
“That shall be speedily done,” replied the witches; and they at once gathered leaves, which they put on their backs. Then they plunged into the water. Immediately after them a bridge was built. Thus the monkey was now able to go to the castle. Here he found the princess. She was very much surprised to see this evil-looking animal before her; but she was much more frightened when the monkey showed her the ring which the bird had given him, and claimed her for his wife. “It is the will of God that you should go with me,” said the monkey, after the princess had shown great repugnance towards him. “You either have to go with me or perish.” Thinking it was  useless to attempt to resist such a mighty foe, the princess finally yielded.
The monkey led her to the king’s palace, and presented her before her parents; but no sooner had the king and queen seen their daughter in the power of the beast, than they swooned. When they had recovered, they said simultaneously, “Go away at once, and never come back here again, you girl of infamous taste! Who are you? You are not the princess we left in the castle. You are of villain’s blood, and the very air which you exhale does suffocate us. So with no more ado depart at once!”
The princess implored her father to have pity, saying that it was the will of God that she should be the monkey’s wife. “Perhaps I have been enchanted by him, for I am powerless to oppose him.” But all her remonstrance was in vain. The king shut his ears against any deceitful or flattering words that might fall from the lips of his faithless and disobedient daughter. Seeing that the king was obstinate, the couple turned their backs on the palace, and decided to find a more hospitable home. So the monkey now took his wife to a neighboring mountain, and here they settled.
One day the monkey noticed that the princess was very sad and pale. He said to her, “Why are you so sad and unhappy, my darling? What is the matter?”
“Nothing. I am just sorry to have only a monkey for my husband. I become sad when I think of my past happiness.”
“I am not a monkey, my dear. I am a real man, born of human parents. Didn’t you know that I was baptized by the priest, and that my name is Juan?” As the princess would not believe him, the monkey went to a neighboring hut and there cast off his disguise (balit cayu). He at once returned to the princess. She was amazed to see a sparkling youth of not more than twenty years of age—nay, a prince—kneeling before her. “I can no longer keep you in ignorance,” he said. “I am your husband, Juan.”
“Oh, no! I cannot believe you. Don’t try to deceive me! My husband is a monkey; but, with all his defects, I still cling to him and love him. Please go away at once, lest my husband find you here! He will be jealous, and may kill us both.”
“Oh, no! my darling, I am your husband, Juan. I only disguised myself as a monkey.”
 But still the princess would not believe him. At last she said to him, “If you are my real husband, you must give me a proof of the fact.” So Juan [we shall hereafter call him by this name] took her to the place where he had cast off his monkey-skin. The princess was now convinced, and said to herself, “After all, I was not wrong in the belief I have entertained from the beginning,—that it was the will of God that I should marry this monkey, this man.”
Juan and the princess now agreed to go back to the palace and tell the story. So they went. As soon as the king and queen saw the couple, they were very much surprised; but to remove their doubt, Juan immediately related to the king all that had happened. Thus the king and queen were finally reconciled to the at first hated couple. Juan and his wife succeeded to the throne on the death of the king, and lived peacefully and happily during their reign.
The story is now ended. Thus we see that God compensated the father and mother of Juan for their religious zeal by giving them a son, but punished them for not being content with what He gave them by taking the son away from them again, for Juan never recognized his parents.

Sources: http://www.univie.ac.at/voelkerkunde/apsis/aufi/folk/folk-t03.htm


 Background Information:

This Filipino story was recorded in English based on a Kapampangan (Pampango, from the province of Pampanga) version in the early 20th century. There is also a Bicolano (Bikulano, from Bicol) version of this story.
Confirmation of Learning:

            1. Who helped Juan to  procure the ring of the princess who lives in the midst         of  the sea.?
2. Juan saw ________when he  jogged along the road.
3. What made the princess believed that Juan was really her husband?
4. What did Juan's father tell him when he planned to leave the house?
5. How did Juan know that the King had a daughter?





The Clever Husband and Wife

Pedro had been living as a servant in a doctor’s house for more than nine years. He wanted very much to have a wife, but he had no business of any kind on which to support one.
One day he felt very sad. His look of dejection did not escape the notice of his master, who said, “What is the matter, my boy? Why do you look so sad? Is there anything I can do to comfort you?”
“Oh, yes!” said Pedro.
“What do you want me to do?” asked the doctor.
“Master,” the man replied, “I want a wife, but I have no money to support one.”
“Oh, don’t worry about money!” replied his master. “Be ready tomorrow, and I will let you marry the woman you love.”
The next day the wedding was held. The doctor let the couple live in a cottage not far from his hacienda, and he gave them two hundred pieces of gold. When they received the money, they hardly knew what to do with it, as Pedro had never had any business of any sort. “What shall we do after we have spent all our money?” asked the wife. “Oh, we can ask the doctor for more,” answered Pedro.
Years passed by, and one day the couple had not even a cent with which to buy food. So Pedro went to the doctor and asked him for some money. The doctor, who had always been kind to them, gave him twenty pieces of gold; but these did not last very long, and it was not many days before the money was all spent. The husband and wife now thought of another way by which they could get money from the doctor.
Early one day Pedro went to the doctor’s house weeping. He said that his wife had died, and that he had nothing with which to pay for her burial. (He had rubbed onion-juice on his eyes, so that he looked as if he were really crying.) When the doctor heard Pedro’s story, he pitied the man, and said to him, “What was the matter with your wife? How long was she sick?” “For two days,” answered Pedro.
“Two days!” exclaimed the doctor, “why did you not call me, then? We should have been able to save her. Well, take this money and see that she gets a decent burial.”
Pedro returned home in good spirits. He found his wife Marta waiting for him at the door, and they were happy once more; but in a month the money was all used up, and they were on the point of starving again.
Now, the doctor had a married sister whom Pedro and his wife had worked for off and on after their marriage. Pedro told his wife to go to the doctor’s sister, and tell her that he was dead and that she had no money to pay for the burial. Marta set out, as she was told; and when she arrived at the sister’s house, the woman said to her, “Marta, why are you crying?”
“My husband is dead, and I have no money to pay for his burial,” said Marta, weeping.
“You have served us well, so take this money and see that masses are said for your husband’s soul,” said the kind-hearted mistress.
That evening the doctor visited his sister to see her son who was sick. The sister told him that Marta’s husband had died. “No,” answered the doctor, “it was Marta who died.” They argued and argued, but could not agree; so they finally decided to send one of the doctor’s servants to see which one was dead. When Pedro saw the servant coming, he told his wife to lie flat and stiff in the bed as if she were dead; and when the servant entered, Pedro showed him his dead wife.
The servant returned, and told the doctor and his sister that it was Marta who was dead; but the sister would not believe him, for she said that perhaps he was joking. So they sent another servant. This time Marta made Pedro lie down stiff and flat in the bed; and when the servant entered the house, he saw the man lying as if dead. So he hurried back and told the doctor and his sister what he had seen. Now neither knew what to believe. The next morning, therefore, the doctor and his sister together visited the cottage of Pedro. They found the couple both lying as if dead. After examining them, however, the doctor realized that they were merely feigning death. He was so pleased by the joke, and so glad to find his old servants alive, that he took them home with him and made them stay at his house.


 Background Information:
This Tagalog story is said to have been derived from the Arabian  “1001 Nights.”  Here it is in English as recorded in the early 20th century:
Confirmation of Learning:


1. Who was Pedro's master?
2. What was the reason behind Pedro's sadness?
3. What was the  name of Pedro's wife?
4. Why did Pedro went back to the doctor's house?
5. Where did the Doctor let Pedro and his wife live?

The Miraculous Cow


There was once a farmer driving home from his farm in his kariton. He had tied his cow to the back of his cart, as he was accustomed to do every evening on his way home. While he was going along the road, two boys saw him. They were Felipe and Ambrosio. Felipe whispered to Ambrosio, “Do you see the cow tied to the back of that kariton? Well, if you will untie it, I will take it to our house.”
Ambrosio approached the kariton slowly, and untied the cow. He handed the rope to Felipe, and then tied himself in the place of the animal.

“Come on, Ambrosio! Don’t be foolish! Come on with me!” whispered Felipe impatiently.

“No, leave me alone! Go home, and I will soon be there!” answered the cunning Ambrosio.
After a while the farmer happened to look back. What a surprise for him! He was frightened to find a boy instead of his cow tied to the kariton. “Why are you there? Where is my cow?” he shouted furiously. “Rascal, give me my cow!”

“Oh, don’t be angry with me!” said Ambrosio. “Wait a minute, and I will tell you my story. Once, when I was a small boy, my mother became very angry with me. She cursed me, and suddenly I was transformed into a cow; and now I am changed back into my own shape. It is not my fault that you bought me: I could not tell you not to do so, for I could not speak at the time. Now, generous farmer, please give me my freedom! for I am very anxious to see my old home again.”
The farmer did not know what to do, for he was very sorry to lose his cow. When he reached home, he told his wife the story. Now, his wife was a kind-hearted woman; so, after thinking a few minutes, she said, “Husband, what can we do? We ought to set him free. It is by the great mercy of God that he has been restored to his former self.”
So the wily boy got off. He rejoined his friend, and they had a good laugh over the two simple folks. 

 Background Information:
This is a Tagalog story recorded in English in the early 20th century. This tale may strike Western sensibilities as mean, but making fun of "simple folk" is not uncommon in Filipino oral stories. It's a moral story on cleverness contrasted with the stupidity of believing in superstition.


Confirmation of Learning:

1. Who was driving home from  his farm in his kariton?
2. Who were the 2 boys saw the farmer going along the road?
3. What did Ambrosio tell the farmer when he got caught?
4. Did the farmer punish Ambrosio for what he did?
5. The farmer's wife was a ________woman.


The Story of Benito

Benito was an only son who lived with his father and mother in a little village. They were very poor, and as the boy grew older and saw how hard his parents struggled for their scanty living he often dreamed of a time when he might be a help to them.
One evening when they sat eating their frugal meal of rice the father told about a young king who lived in a beautiful palace some distance from their village, and the boy became very much interested. That night when the house was dark and quiet and Benito lay on his mat trying to sleep, thoughts of the young king repeatedly came to his mind, and he wished he were a king that he and his parents might spend the rest of their lives in a beautiful palace.
The next morning he awoke with a new idea. He would go to the king and ask for work, that he might in that way be able to help his father and mother. He was a long time in persuading his parents to allow him to go, however, for it was a long journey, and they feared that the king might not be gracious. But at last they gave their consent, and the boy started out. The journey proved tiresome. After he reached the palace, he was not at first permitted to see the king. But the boy being very earnest at last secured a place as a servant.
It was a new and strange world to Benito who had known only the life of a little village. The work was hard, but he was happy in thinking that now he could help his father and mother. One day the king sent for him and said:
"I want you to bring to me a beautiful princess who lives in a land across the sea. Go at once, and if you fail you shall be punished severely."
The boy's heart sank within him, for he did not know what to do. But he answered as bravely as possible, "I will, my lord," and left the king's chamber. He at once set about preparing things for a long journey, for he was determined to try at least to fulfil the command.
When all was ready Benito started. He had not gone far before he came to a thick forest, where he saw a large bird bound tightly with strings.
"Oh, my friend," pleaded the bird, "please free me from these bonds, and I will help you whenever you eall on me."
Benito quickly released the bird, and it flew away calling back to him that its name was Sparrowhawk.
Benito continued his journey till he came to the sea. Unable to find a way of crossing, he stopped and gazed sadly out over the waters, thinking of the king's threat if he failed. Suddenly he saw swimming toward him the King of the Fishes who asked:
"Why are you so sad?"
"I wish to cross the sea to find the beautiful Princess," answered the boy.
"Well, get on my back," said the Fish, "and I will carry you across."
So Benito stepped on his back and was carried to the other shore.
Soon he met a strange woman who inquired what it was he sought, and when he had told her she said:
"The Princess is kept in a castle guarded by giants. Take this magic sword, for it will kill instantly whatever it touches." And she handed him the weapon.
"Benito was more than grateful for her kindness and went on full of hope. As he approached the castle he could see that it was surrounded by many giants, and as soon as they saw him they ran out to seize him, but they went unarmed for they saw that he was a mere boy. As they approached he touched those in front with his sword, and one by one they fell dead. Then the others ran away in a panic, and left the castle unguarded. Benito entered, and when he had told the Princess of his errand, she was only too glad to escape from her captivity and she set out at once with him for the palace of the king.
"At the seashore the King of the Fishes was waiting for them, and they had no difficulty in crossing the sea and then in journeying through the thick forest to the palace, where they were received with great rejoicing. After a time the King asked the Princess to become his wife, and she replied:
"I will, O King, if you will get the ring I lost in the sea as I was crossing it."
"The King immediately thought of Benito, and sending for him he commanded him to find the ring which had been lost on the journey from the land of the giants.
It seemed a hopeless task to the boy, but, anxious to obey his master, he started out. At the seaside he stopped and gazed over the waters until, to his great delight, he saw his friend, the King of the Fishes, swimming toward him. When he had been told of the boy's troubles, the great fish said: "I will see if I can help you," and he summoned all his subjects to him. When they came he found that one was missing, and he sent the others in search of it. They found it under a stone so full that it could not swim, and the larger ones took it by the tail and dragged it to the King.
"Why did you not come when you were called?" inquired the King Fish.
"I have eaten so much that I cannot swim," replied the poor fish.
Then the King Fish, suspecting the truth, ordered it cut open, and inside they found the lost ring. Benito was overjoyed at this, and expressing his great thanks, hastened ivith the precious ring to his master.
The King, greatly pleased, earried the ring to the Princess and said:
"Now that I have your ring will you become my wife ?"
"I will be your wife," replied the Princess, "if you will find my earring that I lost in the forest as I was journeying with Benito."
"Again the King sent for Benito, and this time he commanded him to find the earring. The boy was very weary from his long journeys, but with no complaint he started out once more. Along the road through the thick forest he searched carefully, but with no reward. At last, tired and discouraged, he sat down under a tree to rest.
"Suddenly there appeared before him a mouse of great size, and he was surprised to find that it was the King of Mice.
"Why are you so sad?" asked the King Mouse.
"Because," answered the boy, "I cannot find an earring which the Princess lost as we were going through the forest together."
"I will help you," said the Mouse, and he summoned all his subjects.
When they assembled it was found that one little mouse was missing, and the King sent the others to look for him. In a small hole among the bamboo trees they found him, and he begged to be left alone, for, he said, he was so full that he could not walk. Nevertheless they pulled him along to their master, who, upon finding that there was something hard inside the mouse, ordered him cut open; and inside they found the missing earring.
Benito at once forgot his weariness, and after expressing his great thanks to the King Mouse he hastened to the palace with the prize. The King eagerly seized the earring and presented it to the Princess, again asking her to be his wife.
"Oh, my King," replied the Princess, "I have one more request to make. Only grant it and I will be your wife forever."
The King, believing that now with the aid of Benito he could grant anything, inquired what it was she wished, and she replied:
"Get me some water from heaven and some from the lower world, and I shall ask nothing more."
Once more the King called Benito and sent him on the hardest errand of all.
The boy went out not knowing which way to turn, and while he was in a deep study his weary feet led him to the forest. Suddenly he thought of the bird who had promised to help him, and he called, "Sparrowhawk!" There was a rustle of wings, and the bird swooped down. He told it of his troubles and it said:
"I will get the water for you."
Then Benito made two light cups of bamboo which he fastened to the bird's legs, and it flew away. All day the boy waited in the forest, and just as night was coming on the bird returned with both cups full. The one on his right foot, he told Benito, was from heaven, and that on his left was from the lower world. The boy unfastened the cups, and then, as he was thanking the bird, he noticed that the journey had been too much for it and that it was dying. Filled with sorrow for his winged friend, he waited and carefully buried it, and then he hastened to the palace with the precious water.
When the Princess saw that her wish had been fulfilled she asked the King to eut her in two and pour over her the water from heaven. The King was not able to do this, so she cut herself, and then as he poured the water over her he beheld her grow into the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
Eager to become handsome himself, the King then begged her to pour over him the water from the other cup. He cut himself, and she did as he requested, but immediately there arose a creature most ugly and horrible to look upon, which soon vanished out of sight. Then the Princess called Benito and told him that because he had been so faithful to his master and so kind to her, she chose him for her husband.
They were married amid great festivities and became king and queen of that broad and fertile land. During all the great rejoicing, however, Benito never forgot his parents. One of the finest portions of his kingdom he gave to them, and from that time they all lived in great happiness.

 Background Information:





Confirmation of Learning:

1. Why did Benito wanted to leave their house?
2. Who helped Benito in crossing the sea?
3. Where did Benito find the princess?
4. What was the last request that the princess asked for the king?
5. How did Benito kill the giants?

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog focuses on Philippine Literature. The people of Manila and native groups within the Philippines used to write on bamboo and the arecaceae palm. They used knives for inscribing the ancient Tagalog script.

wibiya widget